Watch The Video: Honor Team Members Volunteer on CU Kind Day
Honor Credit Union closed its member centers and offices on October 9th to participate in CU Kind Day. Team members went out into their local communities across Michigan, and remote team members volunteered in their home states. Volunteers assisted with many projects, from clean-up initiatives to packing meals and other ways of serving community members.
“It’s great to be out working in our community,” said Honor CEO Scott McFarland. “One of the teams invited me out and I had a great time.”
Honor takes great pride in the work team members contributed to their communities and the relationships created with local organizations that faithfully serve their communities. Read below to learn where and what team members spent their day doing.
Allegan / Otsego
Team members participated in a community diaper drive, outside cleanup projects, and picked up litter in downtown Allegan.
Team members sorted and cleaned for the nonprofit organization Love Inc. at their New to You Store.
Team members helped with some maintenance items, such as painting posts in Ruggles Cemetery.
Battle Creek Area
Team members cleaned up and did landscaping at Binder Park Zoo.
- Team members helped process donations and organized the warehouse at Mosaic CCDA. Team members assisted in trash clean-up at Fairplain Plaza.
- Team members painted and cleaned at the Emergency Shelter Services.
- Other team members cleaned up the playground area, including laying down new mulch, weeding, trash removal, and painting at the Readiness Center.
- At the YMCA, team members participated in parking lot clean-up, weeding, preschool support: prepping craft projects, and read to kids.
- Team members packed emergency shelf stable meals for seniors for inclement weather days at Meals on Wheels.
- Team members assisted in sorting, cleaning, and moving items at Neighbor To Neighbor.
- They also helped winterize the property at Berrien County Youth Fairgrounds.
- Team members also cleaned up Feather Park.
- Team members sorted donations and helped display them at Harbor Country Mission.
- Team members also assisted with the Harbor County Mission homeless outreach program.
- Some team members did beach cleanup at Warren Dunes.
- Team members volunteered at the Buchanan Area Senior Center, the Buchanan District Library, and the Buchanan Roti Art Center.
- They also helped with fall clean up on the McCoy Creek Trail.
- Some team members straightened up stock, built scarecrows, organized donations, and cleaned at Buchanan Scarecrow Committee.
Team members helped with park cleanup at Gilson Park and Randall Park.
Team members read to children, assisted with filing and other tasks at the Decatur Elementary School.
A remote team member did beach cleanup at Pelican Beach
Team members volunteered at the Grand Rapids Public Museum as well as the Kids’ Food Basket organization.
Team members volunteered at Post Family Farm, boxing donuts, moving wood, and other various tasks around the farm.
A remote team member did litter cleanup at Potato Creek State Park.
Team members assisted with moving furniture, gardening, and yard work at the Greater Ishpeming Commission on Aging.
- Team members cleaned up at local nonprofit, Community Homeworks and cleaned two local parks with a city commissioner.
- Some team members volunteered at Loaves and Fishes.
- The Stadium Drive Member Center team made holiday cards for hospitalized veterans at the VA Medical Center.
- Other team members walked dogs and cleaned up cages at SPCA of Southwest Michigan Pet Rescue & Adoption Center.
- Some team members helped with gardening at the West Michigan Cancer Center.
- Team members provided student support, reading groups, and playground assistance for Paramount Charter Academy.
- Team members cleaned and organized at the Community Service Center at the Rickman House, which is part of Housing Resources Inc.
- Team members volunteered at Jacobetti Home for Veterans, helping with Halloween crafts and bingo.
- Other team members did outside cleanup with Superior Watershed volunteers and planted trees.
- Team members helped pick up the grounds and organize at Pak Ratz at the Women’s Center.
Team members volunteered at the VWF Post 3165 painting walls, doors, & trim.
Team members cleaned up Plym Park.
Team members cleaned up the grounds at the Carnegie for Village of Paw Paw.
Team members mucked stalls and brushed horses at UP Equestrian.
Team members helped with beach cleanup at Trout Lake Beach, and volunteered at the Forsyth Township Clubhouse senior center for bingo.
Team members helped clean animal pens, feed them, and give them attention at the Al-Van Humane Society.
Team members cleaned up the grounds at the Hanson Hospice Center.
- Team members volunteered at Krasl Art Center.
- Other team members painted fire hydrants for Royalton Township.
- Team members cleaned and organized storage at the Box Factory for the Arts.
Team members assisted with Camp Eberhart through the YMCA by painting, cleaning windows, and clearing trees and brush.
More To Explore
Learn what a contactless card is, how it works, how to use it, and what the security benefits of contactless card payments are in this blog post.